Childhood cancer survival and future challenges

Mariana Kruger


The history of childhood cancer treatment is one of the major success stories of the second part of the 20th century, where cure rate improved from no survival in 1950 to more than 70% in the present day. This cure rate is due to the development of dedicated paediatric oncology units, prospective clinical trials, and improved supportive care. The challenges for the 21st century include finding therapies that will cure the other 30% of children and reduce the complications of treatment. At the same time only about 20% of the world’s children has access to this specialized care and a major focus area is how to ensure improved access to these treatment modalities for the other 80% of the world’s children.

Author's affiliations

Mariana Kruger, University of Pretoria

Full Text

PDF (184KB)


childhood, cancer, cure, survival, access to treatment

Cite this article

South African Journal of Child Health 2007;1(3):106.

Article History

Date submitted: 2007-08-31
Date published: 2007-11-26

Article Views

Abstract views: 3072
Full text views: 2942

Comments on this article

*Read our policy for posting comments here